That’s right. It’s estimated that only 25% of employees actually take all of their days off. On average, most people only take half of the time they earn.
When taking a break from work has so many health benefits, why not take the vacation you deserve?
Five Ways Vacations Benefit Your Health
For many, vacation can be anxiety-provoking. But, once you’re there, you will be doing your body a favor. Taking breaks from work promotes:
- Stress relief
- Body movement/relaxation
- Psychological wellness
- Positive outlook
- Better personal relationships
Whether it’s a few weeks away or taking off early on a Friday, it’s important to take time away from your job to nourish and rest your body and mind. Wherever you end up going, make sure to budget time to do new things that interest and stimulate your mind.
When It’s Time to Take a Break
So, how do you know when it’s time to take a break from work? Well, chances are if you’re like most of us, you’re probably overdue for some rest and relaxation.
If you have vacation days, it’s time to take a break. Here are some signs that it might be a good idea to schedule that break in the near future:
- You do the same thing every day. Habit is comfortable, but it can make you feel like you’re on auto-pilot most of the time. Spice it up and give yourself a treat!
- You work overtime a lot. Working hard is important, but so is time to yourself.
- Low concentration. If you’re having trouble concentrating on your work, taking some time away can be very beneficial.
- It’s been a long time since your last vacation. Yes, a year ago is a long time.
If you’re due for some vacation days, try to take them in a way that is convenient for you so when you do return to work, it will not be as stressful.
If Not Now, Then When?
Whether you drive or fly to your destination, or your destination is actually your couch and Netflix, summer is the perfect time to take a break and focus on your own needs. Vacation days are the perfect opportunity to focus on your health and personal relationships so you can continue to feel better, even when you are working!