Currently, there is no cure for HIV. But, it is 100% preventable. At UNM Truman Health Services, we actively promote HIV/AIDS awareness in the Albuquerque community through education, HIV testing, and local events.
Our educational materials are designed to improve public health and HIV knowledge. Our goal is to inform communities with higher risk factors about how to prevent HIV infection. We attend local health fairs and have delivered presentations to benefit community awareness of HIV.
For individuals living with HIV, UNM Truman Health Services provides a comprehensive list of resources to live a healthy life.
We are currently offering free HIV testing at high schools around Albuquerque to encourage teenagers to get in the habit of getting tested and to promote safe sex.
HIV Events in Albuquerque
UNM Truman Health Services hosts multiple events annually that raise HIV/AIDS awareness in the Albuquerque community, including:
- Pride Parade – Usually in the month of June
- World AIDS Day – December 1
- National Caribbean American HIV/AIDS Awareness Day-June 8
- National Youth HIV & AIDS Awareness Day-April 10
- National Transgender HIV Testing Day-April 18
- HIV Vaccine Awareness Day-May 18
- National Asian & Pacific Islander Awareness Day-May 19
- Hepatitis Testing Day-May 19
- National HIV/AIDS and Aging Awareness Day-September 18
- National Gay Men’s HIV/AIDS Awareness Day-September 27
- National HIV Testing Day – June 27
- National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day – February 7
- National Latino AIDS Awareness Day – October 15
- National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day-March 10
- National Native HIV/AIDS Awareness Day – March 20
- Athletic Events and Tournaments
- Albuquerque Pride
Our events balance the essential components of effective HIV awareness: education, HIV testing, and fun! We are proud to support our community partners NM’Power and the United Court of the Sandias whenever we can.
UNM Truman Health Services has proudly hosted the National AIDS Quilt on numerous occasions and also provides community support for many HIV-related charity walks.
Get Involved at UNM Truman Health Services
Do you want to get involved with the fight to end HIV in Albuquerque? Contact UNM Truman Health Services today to learn about our next event and how you can help out! We are always looking for volunteers.